Links

My photo
Trenton, Ontario, Canada
In June 2012 we started the Great Loop in our Bayliner Explorer. This blog is for family and friends who would like to follow our comings and goings and , for now, our getting ready for the trip. If you read this blog we would love to hear your comment& suggestions.

Thursday 11 July 2013

Some things never change


This past month back at our homeport of Trenton, many things occurred to me….the biggest is that some things just never change.

Our good friends are still our good friends, even though we had not seen them in a year we picked up where we left off, like no time has passed. The past year with all its adventures seems like a dream to me now……was the Gulf crossing really that scary? When we hit those big waves outside West End Bahamas, did I really think I was going to die?? All those thoughts and feelings seem so far away, like the memories belongs to someone else.

Another thing, Trenton/Belleville’s sushi is still the best I have had…thank you to those friends who took me to lunch/dinner trying to satisfy the sushi monster in me.

Also stopped at the Burger Revolution !!
 

And Boy, do we have people to thank: Our wonderful friends and family who lent us their vehicles, gave us drives to places, fed us food and gave us drive-ways to park our new 5th wheel. You know who you are and I hope when you read this you will know how much we appreciated everything you did for us.

We also want to give a shout out to all the commodore, staff and members of the CFB Trenton YC, Thank you for finding us a spot on the visitors dock and welcoming us back into the fold.
Visitors dock -CFB Trenton YC
 

Yes, we bought a 5th wheel and truck, all in a matter of a week, can you imagine? Gary drove the truck and 5th wheel down to Florida and parked it in Norma and Mike’s driveway in Jacksonville. There it will stay till we get back from the Bahamas next spring. We plan to put Time and Tide on the hard for the summer and use the truck and 5th wheel to travel around in ….

When we crossed Lake Ontario, a little less than a month ago, we had no idea how lucky we were. Behind us Loopers were “stuck” because the Erie Canal slammed shut due to damage caused after high rains…. and it has been weeks and it is still not open. They had some major flooding and some damage to some of the locks. Like my friend Jim O’ Malley said:” sometimes going fast is good” We made it home just in time.

It is wonderful to be back in Trenton. Seeing the grand babies after a year we couldn’t believe how much they had grown. Mya and Avery stayed with us on the boat for a few days and entertained Gary and I by singing along to every song that played on the radio – songs we had never even heard and they knew all the words!! Freddie is not the baby boy we left behind but a precocious little man with a non-stop commentary on life. Anyone out there who have children and grandchildren know what I mean, you just hate to leave them behind as you go on your travels.
Freddie

Avery

Grampie and Mya

Grampie took the girls for a ride in the dingy


Something else I learnt since I have been back…apparently you do read my blog!! I knew there were one or two folks out there who did but we arrived back here, I was overwhelmed by all of you who said you read it and best of all ENJOYED it…now I suffer a little from performance anxiety….I will try to keep my blogs short and interesting and will post when ever I can.

So we are getting ready to continue our adventures, this time  we are not heading off into the unknown – it feels more like we are meeting up with an old friend and that we are going for a stroll on a familiar path.

 I am glad we are doing this again……

…..to be continued…………………………..
Bay of Quinte swans

Gold Loopers - Very proud
 

4 comments:

  1. See you on the way through the Chesapeake Bay. Looking forward to it. Pete & Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christelle, i loved your blogs, sometimes they were the best part of my mornings! We went to a bbq on bakers island (actually twice now)and looked for you but you were not home. Time and Tide was at the dock the first time, but not yesterday. Wherever you find yourself good luck and thanks for taking the time to take a little of 8 wing with you. Cheers, Barb, Shelene, and the rest of your pals at Acc'n!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reliving the loop through your blog. Congrats on the gold. We miss you guys.
    Flying Free

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep reading and waiting until Autumn to catch up. We still plan to be in the Ft. Pierce/Stuart area mid-late October to get our girl in to the water again. I hope you plan on bringing that 5th wheel to Maine next summer!!!

    Can't wait to reconnect. Safe journey dear friends.

    ReplyDelete